Vladimir Matitsky celebrated his 70th birthday. This is one of the rare composers who has managed to maintain both skill and public recognition throughout his career.
Generations grew up on the music of Vladimir Matitsky: “Lavender”, “It was but passed”, “Moon, Moon” and other Rotaru songs, “Kid” Danko, “Call me at night” by Stashevsky, and Gagarina Million Voices … “Fisherka” I spoke with the composer about modern theater and what it is worth listening to today.
– Vladimir Leonardovich, the key to your success is education. She studies with a schoolgirl from Gnesina herself.
– Yes, her name was Sofya Moiseevna Karpilovskaya, she is a wonderful musician and teacher … But my education was diverse. I am very grateful to my father for this. In addition to music, she graduated from one of the best art schools in Moscow at that time – at the Palace of Pioneers in the Sparrow Hills.
He studied English, studied at the famous 57th school in Mali Znamenskoye – it was then Marx-Engels Street. She also graduated from the School of Physics and Mathematics at NE Bauman Moscow Technical University. I received my higher education at the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys – this was also the case in my life.
Is it possible to translate Bach into the language of mathematics and derive a formula for good music?
It is not likely to have the same effect. A huge number of people are trying to do this – both in relation to the classics and in relation to the song. I admit that a certain formula for a hit can be deduced for a short period of time, but in general a good song doesn’t count.
– In Shinseki’s “Let them run clumsily” it is easy to recognize Paganini’s whim No. 24. Is this a coincidence?
– Some melodies and quotes often wander from folk to classical, from classical to folk, etc. Consciously or apologies for the subconscious allusion to the composer. But this process is difficult to describe as hegemony.
As for the song, its successful essence lies in its current theme and the importance of sound – it always reflects life here and now in its broadest sense. Absorbs everything new, including technical capabilities, sounds, and tones.
Today, pop music has become electronic. Does the school of Russian composers have time to rebuild?
A question worth a thesis! I think that the traditions of the school of the Russian composer are fully compatible with electronics. In music there is a musical note and its timbre: for example, the note A and an infinite number of colors for its timbre. Electronic music, simply put, brings so many. And the Russian music school is absolutely confident in its success in mastering these new opportunities.
What do our failures at Eurovision say, then?
– You can’t say that – “Fail”. There were also successes! Only now the competition is highly politicized. For me, this is not news – it was evident in 2015, when Polina Gagarina sang there with the song A Million Voices, which she co-authored. We felt a biased attitude, then the problem was in the Crimea. But Polina took the honorable second place. The situation this year is more tense, Russia is not represented in the competition.
Well, no, we’ve taken a step back. In fact, participation in this competition is not at all mandatory. It’s just one of my oldest song shows – why don’t you sing? Yes, and some directions in the development of the Eurovision stage can suggest – why not use it if it is worth it!
– Our theater threw a lot of masks. It turns out that she is not Russian, but Ukrainian …
– Indeed, at a certain moment, Ukrainian folk music made a very strong leap forward. Here in Russia, we felt it. And they were very tolerant about this, many artists from Ukraine had the opportunity to develop. Both were Ukrainian and Russian artists singing songs written by Ukrainian authors. But I can say for sure that Russia is no less famous for its talents than Ukraine.
– As it turns out, the stage we live in is mostly anomalous…
– Well, is this in the majority? But there are such artists … What can I say – the people you are talking about, are arranged in a special way: they are restless, love to appear, dress, shock the audience …
Theater attracts such people, and this is an objective reality. But it should also be remembered that sometimes the artist plays with all this “colorful group”, like the tail of a peacock, in order to attract attention to him. We also remember Vertinsky, who liked to shock the audience no less than today. There is a very important aspect – talent. This line is always felt by even an inexperienced audience. So it is impossible to deceive the viewer with shock. The singer must be a professional.
– What do you want to write about?
– There are inexhaustible themes .. about love, of course.
– What would you advise listening to today, Vladimir Leonardovich?
– everybody! I advise you to be open to everything talented that happens around you. Being “tight in a flask” is not going to benefit anyone. Western culture of cancellation when Tchaikovsky, Glinka and Mussorgsky are not allowed to perform is very sad. We should not follow the same path. We should be able to listen to the best examples of world music, whether it’s Wagner or Vivaldi, whether it’s the Beatles, the Rolling Stones or Elton John.
I am sure that the difficult times we are going through now will pass and everything will fall into place.
Vladimir Matitsky was born on May 14, 1952 in Moscow. He studied piano since childhood, but mastered the guitar due to the songs of the Beatles. Winner of the “Song of the Year” award at all festivals since 1986, and the “Overfather” award in 1997.